The holidays are over but do you still have some of the staples left? Besides pumpkin pie what can you do with a can of pumpkin?
One of our favorites is Pumpkin Cornbread. Pair it with a yummy bowl of vegetable soup and you have the perfect cold winter night meal.
Pumpkin Corn Bread
2 tsp greek yogurt (or oil)
1/3 C honey (or brown sugar)
2 tsp vanilla
1 C pumpkin
1/4 C cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C dry milk powder
- Mix together the yogurt, honey, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- Combine the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and dry milk powder in a separate bowl.
- Mix together the dry and wet ingredients.
- Bake in a greased 9x5x3" loaf pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. (Ovens vary so use a knife to check for doneness.)
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan then invert it onto a wire rack to continue to cool.
If you use canned pumpkin like we do you will have leftover pumpkin. We just add the leftover pumpkin to the vegetable soup. It makes the soup have a creamy texture and takes an ordinary can of veggie soup up a notch to gourmet status.